This section discusses how to create an outbound referral within the Clarity Human Services system.
'Outbound' referrals are referrals generated by you or your agency. This includes referrals to programs within your agency as well as referrals to programs outside of your agency. This is in comparison to "Inbound' referrals, which are referrals that are sent to your agency from an outside agency.
There are 2 ways to create a client referral, both methods are from the client record, and both are discussed in this section.
- Through the Referral tab in the client record: This method is advised if you know which type of program, or which agency, you wish to refer your client to.
- Conducting an assessment: Use this method to determine which program is best for your client.
NOTE: For any referral you generate, you will receive email notifications each time the status of the referral changes (e.g. referral is denied, referral is accepted, etc.)
1. Making a referral from the Referral tab of the client record
This method is advised if you know which type of program, or which agency, you wish to refer your client to.
To begin the referral process, go to the Referrals tab from within the client record. You will see two options for referral methods: Refer by Agency or Refer by Category:
- Refer By Agency: Select ‘By Agency’ if you wish to refer the client to a particular agency. Selecting the agency from the dropdown menu will generate a list of the programs (regardless of eligibility) within that agency. Note that you can generate a referral to a program within your agency by selecting your agency from the dropdown menu. Doing so will generate a list of all programs within your agency.
- Refer By Category: Select ‘By Program Category’ if you wish to refer your client to a type of program (e.g. housing, emergency shelter, etc.). Selecting a program category from the dropdown menu will generate a list of all programs (regardless of program eligibility) within your CoC (including those within your agency) that match the selected criteria.
Regardless of whether you select ‘By Agency’ or ‘By Category’, the remaining steps of generating a referral will be the same.
Once you select ‘By Agency’ or ‘By Category’, a list of related programs will appear. Select the ‘down arrow’ of the program to which you would like to refer your client.
After selecting the down arrow, the screen will expand, displaying program details. Notice that you can print a checklist and/or directions (via bike, bus, foot, and/or car) for the client. Select ‘Make Referral’ to continue with the referral process.
Selecting ‘Make Referral’ will take you to the ‘Referral: Add’ screen. Here you can review details of the referral.
Working With The Referral: Add Screen
- Referred Program: Indicates the program to which you are referring your client.
- Referred-To Agency: Indicates the agency that provides the program to which you are referring your client.
- Referring Agency: This is the agency from which the referral originated. (This will be your Agency)
- Private: Select this if you want the referral to be visible in the History tab of the client’s record ONLY for the Referred-To agency.
- Would you like to make Reservation as well?: Selecting this checkbox will allow you to create a reservation at the same time that you make the referral. Click here (LINK to How do I make a reservation from the referral screen?) for more information on the reservation system.
- Message Box: Here you can send a secure message to the Referred-To agency regarding the referral.
Select ‘Send Referral’ to complete the referral process. Doing so will take you to the ‘Referral-Edit’ screen where you will find the following fields (in addition to the ones listed above):
- Referred Date: This is the date of the referral – this cannot be modified.
- Days Pending: This is the amount of days since the referral was first generated. If you are creating a new referral, this will be ‘0’.
- Qualified: This indicates whether the client is ‘Qualified’ for the referred-to program (i.e. meets program requirements such as age, income level, gender, veteran status, etc.) or Not Qualified’ (i.e does not meet the program requirements)
- Referred By Staff: This indicates to the other staff and agencies that you made the referral.
- Last Activity (& Check In): This is for the purposes of the Community Queue. Staff can select ‘Check In’ if they need to keep the referral active in the system.
Referral Connections: This is intended for situations in which the client was enrolled into the referred-to program before the referral was completed.
If the client was prematurely enrolled into the program to which you are referring them to, then a link will be available:
Select the program from the list…
Notes: Here you can view all notes connected to this particular referral, as well as create a new note. Only authorized staff will have access to the notes, and all notes are sent over a secure server. Note that, depending upon your access role, you may have the ability to delete past notes.
Once all edits have been completed, select ‘Save Changes’ to complete the referral process.
2. Generating a Referral by Conducting an Assessment
This method is advised if you are trying to determine which program is best for your client, or if you would like to determine which programs your client is eligible for.
To begin this method, go to the Assessments tab of the client record, and select the ‘Start’ button of the assessment you would like to use.
After completing the Assessment data fields, select ‘Save’. This will bring you to the Eligibility Determination where you will find a list of eligible programs, divided into three categories:
- Agency Programs: These are programs within your agencies.
- Community Programs: These are programs outside of your agency for which your client is eligible.
- Ineligible Programs: These are the programs your client is ineligible for. Click the down arrow on the main header to expand the list. Note that selecting the down arrow of each individual program will allow the screen to expand to provide that particular program’s details, as well as the ‘Reason for Ineligibility’. Note that you can also refer them directly to the Community Queue from here as well. Selecting this button will allow you to send the referral to the Community Queue, which means that the referral and its associated information will be visible to all agencies.
Also notice that you can use the drop down menus at the top of the screen to search the list ‘By Category’ and ‘By Agency’:
- By Category: This allows you to view the list according to a certain program category only (e.g. Emergency Shelter, Street Outreach, etc.)
- By Agency: This allows you to view the list according to a certain agency only.
To generate the referral, select the down arrow of the program to which you would like to refer the client. The screen will expand to include program details, including bed/unit availability (if applicable to the program type). You also have the capability to print directions to the program site.
Select the ‘Make Referral’ button.
From here, the referral process is the same as previously discussed. Please refer to the directions above, starting with ‘The Referral: Add Screen‘.