Fields are created, edited, and deleted in Field Editor. As noted in Introduction to Fields and Field Editor, configurations made to a field in Field Editor impact its appearance and functionality in any Screen it's added to. For more information about configuring fields at the Screen level, see Creating and Editing Screens and Screen Data Fields. Only fields with a Table Type of "Custom" can be created and edited by System Administrators (for more information on Field Table Types, see Introduction to Fields and Field Editor).
To create a new field, click Add Field within Field Editor (figure 1).
Define the field's Display Name, Data Name, and Type, and add any Comments or Tooltip Text by default, the Table Type for the field will be "Custom". (figure 2).
Field Display Name: how the field will display in Screens.
Field Data Name: a unique identifier for the field. Once a field is saved, the Field Data Name cannot be changed. No two data fields can have the same Field Data Name. If you attempt to save a field with a Field Data Name already in use, you'll receive an error message.
Field Type: what type of data the field will collect. There are 8 Field Types:
- Text: intended for short text strings.
- Textbox: displays a larger area for collecting longer text strings, like notes and descriptions.
- Number: only integer responses will be accepted.
- Dollar: only accepts integers and will record '.00' at the end of recorded responses.
- Checkbox: creates a toggle button field.
- Date: collects integers in xx/xx/xxxx format.
- Phone: collects integers in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.
- Picklist: fields with drop-down menu options.
- If the type "Picklist" is selected, an additional Picklist Type drop-down menu will display with the choices "Number" or "String." When creating picklist items, a code is assigned to each item that can either be numbers ("number") or letters ("string"). While these codes don't display in the user interface, they can be used for reporting.
Once a field is saved, the Field Type cannot be changed.
Comments: additional information about the field. Core Fields associated with the HMIS Data Standards, for example, include the Data Element number and name in the Comments.
Tooltip Text: Text entered here will display in Screens when a user hovers over the question.
After completing the initial field configuration, click Save Changes. You will now have the option to make the field reportable in Data Analysis (figure 3).
Creating Picklist Selection Options
If the Field Type "Picklist" is selected, an additional Selection Options section will display (figure 4), allowing you to create the drop-down menu options that will be available for the field.
Four Selection Options will automatically be included: "Select," "Client doesn't know," "Client refused," and "Data not collected." If not applicable, these selections can be edited or removed by hovering over the selection and clicking the delete or edit icon.
To add new selections, click Add Selection (figure 5).
In the Edit Picklist Item popup, enter a Value and Description (figure 6).
After you have finished adding selections to the field, click Save Changes.
Editing and Deleting Existing Custom Fields
To edit or delete a field, hover over the field in the Field Editor search results and click either the edit or delete icon (figure 7). If a field is currently included in a Screen, you will not be able to delete that field until first removing it from any Screens it's been added to. For more information on editing fields within screens, see Creating and Editing Screens.