This section discusses how to add Services that are affiliated with Housing Programs. The service configuration for these types of services differs slightly from configuration for other services, like Non-Residential Services
Sections in the article include:
- Creating a Housing Service
- Creating a Housing Service Item
- Housing Options
- Funding Options
- Linking the Housing Service to a Program Enrollment
Creating a Housing Service
To create a Housing Service, go to the Launchpad and select Manage. Next, go to the Services tab and click the Add New Service link located in the top right corner of the center screen.
This will take you to the Create a New Service screen.
This is the name of the Housing Service.
This is an identifying category that is used for reporting purposes. Select the appropriate housing service Category from the dropdown menu. (e.g. Housing, Life Skills, Case Management, etc.)
This field allows you to indicate if the Agency is a Single Site location or has multiple sites. If the Agency is a single site, you can also specify whether or not there are multiple buildings at the site location. This information is included when documenting your Primary Site Location (e.g. when determining your geocode).
You will notice three options in the dropdown menu:
- Single Site, Single Building - This indicates that your agency has only one location with only one building at that location.
- Single Site, Multiple Buildings - This indicates that your agency has only one location with multiple buildings at this location.
- Multiple sites - This indicates that your agency has multiple locations. It is not necessary to document the amount of buildings at each location.
This field allows you to indicate what type of site will be offering the Housing Service.
You will notice three options in the dropdown menu:
- Non-residential: services only – This indicates that the site does not have beds, and only offers General non-housing Services. Services with this designation are NOT housing services so do not select this option.
- Residential: special needs and non-special needs – This indicates that the site has beds, and accommodates persons with special needs (i.e. physical/developmental handicap) as well as persons without special needs).
- Residential: special needs only – This indicates that the service site has beds and only accommodates persons with special needs
Housing Services must be designated as either Residential: special needs and non-special needs or Residential: special needs only. (Housing Services are not Non-Residential.)
This field indicates if the housing service provided is Active or Inactive. An Active housing service is a service currently being provided to clients. An Inactive housing service is a service that is not currently being provided to clients (e.g. seasonal services).
Select Add Record.
This will take you to the Services: Detail screen.
Creating a Housing Service Item
The next step is to create the Housing Service Item(s) for the Housing Service.
To create the Service Item(s), select the Add Item link in the Service Items section.
This will take you to the Services: Item Detail screen. Begin by entering the name of the Service Item.
Enter the name of the Service.
Next select the Delivery Type from the dropdown menu.
- Long Term - This selection allows you to extend the Availability End Date of the Program Assigned Service greater than 31 days.
- Daily Attendance -This selection allows you to enter a client into the Program Assigned Service on a day-by-day basis. This is possible for up to 31 days and is used most often for Emergency Shelters.
- Multiple Attendance -This selection allows you to document attendance for services that are offered multiple times per day.
If Daily Attendance or Multiple Attendance is selected, these additional data fields appear:
- Service Option - When the checkbox is selected, any attendance-based service item will be accessible from both the Services tab and the Attendance section. If this checkbox is not selected, the attendance-based service will only appear in the Attendance section and will not be accessible via the Services tab.
- Attendance History Assist - This will determine which clients appear in the quick add section of the attendance screen. It could be clients that received the service in just the last week or up to the last 4 months.
- Default Intake Model - This will determine if the Service defaults to Scanned mode or Manual attendance entry. Regardless of the default option, both methods can be used when administering the attendance service.
- Require Release of Information - If this is checked, the client must have an active ROI in Clarity Human Services to receive the service.
Group Placement Option
Selecting this checkbox will allow the user to automatically enroll additional household members into the Service when enrolling the Head of Household.
Availability Start/End Dates
The Availability Start Date indicates the date the Service is available. The Availability End Date indicates the date the Service becomes unavailable. Select the calendar icon to enter the dates.
The Geocode is a marker administered by HUD. It is a 6-digit number that corresponds to a particular geographic location within a Continuum of Care (CoC). Most CoCs have multiple geographic areas and therefore multiple geocodes. An updated list of all HUD geocodes is provided annually, and can be found on the HUD website.
The geocode associated with the geographic location of the principal provider program service site. Scattered-site housing provider programs should record the Geocode where the majority of beds are located or where most beds are located as of the inventory update.
This functionality helps agencies manage third party service vendors. Checking the Enable Accounts box will trigger the Account Option section to appear below the Housing Options.
Here you can select Vendor for Account Type and whether or not it is Required. Clicking Required will require the field to be completed when the user is creating the service record for the client.
Accounts can be added and managed in the Manage section under the Accounts Tab.
The Housing Options of the Service: Item Detail section only appears for housing services.
This date should reflect the data collection stage date or the date on which information was collected. Select the calendar icon to enter the date.
Indicate the type of housing the Service applies to.
If Emergency Shelter is selected, then two additional data fields will appear below Household Type:
- Bed Type - Select the correct bed type (Facility Based, Voucher, Other)
- Availability - Select the availability of the beds (Year-round, Seasonal, Overflow)
Indicate the type of Household your Service applies to.
Housing Options: Inventory Type
Enter the type of bed the service is dedicated to:
- Chronic Homeless Bed Inventory (PSH Only)
- Veteran Bed Inventory
- Youth Beds Inventory
If Youth Beds Inventory is selected, then an additional drop-down Youth Beds Inventory Type becomes available. This drop-down includes the following:
- Only under Age 18
- Only ages 18 to 24
- Only youth under age 24 (both of the above)
Bed & Unit Inventory
Bed Inventory is the actual number of beds being provided, and Unit Inventory is the number of rooms/apartments. For example, if there are 10 units, each with 2 beds, then enter 20 beds and 2 units.
Housing Options: Reservation
If you created an Attendance Based Service, you will have a Reservation Option checkbox. If you select the checkbox, more reservation options will appear. Selecting Dedicated will allow you to create dedicated slots.
In contrast, selecting Open wills still allow the user to create a reservation, but it will not allow for designated slots. This model closely follow the existing logic of Attendance.
- Default Reservation Term - This is the default duration of stay (in days) that each reservation will allow.
- Program Enrollment Warning - If enabled, this will generate a warning that alerts the user if the client is not enrolled in the program linked to the service for which they are being placed.
- Allow Referred Reservation - This is applicable to residential attendance-based services that are linked to a program. Checking this box will allow an end user to make a reservation while they are generating the referral to the program that the service is linked to.
Select the funding source for the Service from the dropdown menu. All expense transactions will be reflected in the funding source (Manage > Funding) automatically and in real-time. If any option other than Do Not Charge is selected, the data field Charge per Attendance will appear.
Indicate the Default Amount to be charged for each occurrence of the Service.
- Individual - Default Amount will be charged per individual.
- Group - Default Amount will be charged on a group basis (for group enrollment situations).
Selecting the checkbox will allow the user to adjust the expense amount of the Service with each transaction. Not selecting the checkbox will ensure that the Default Amount is applied to each transaction. If Adjustable is selected, the Charge per Attendance data field will disappear.
Charge per Attendance
Selecting this checkbox will allow users to document expense items through the Attendance tab or through service provision. This functionality has several characteristics:
- This functionality only applies to fixed expenses. If the expense is Adjustable, then this Charge per Attendance feature will not appear.
- Expense Items are linked to Attendance records, so if the attendance record is deleted, so is the expense. This also works for services with multiple attendance.
- This functionality also works from the Reservation Tool. Marking someone Present will add their expense record (if it is a Fixed expense item).
- In order for this feature to be enabled correctly, Automatically Charge must NOT = Do Not Charge. NOTE: The Default Amount, Expense Type and Adjustable fields will be hidden if Automatically Charge =Do Not Charge is selected.
Selecting Add Record will complete creation of the Service Item. Once the Service Item has been saved, click Cancel to return to the Services: Detail page.
Linking the Housing Service to Program Enrollment
In the last section of the Services: Detail page, you can link the service to a program by selecting the appropriate Program Usage category from the dropdown menu.
There are three options:
- Services Only - Selecting this option will designate the service as a stand-alone service, meaning that the service is not linked to a program, and will only be accessible through the client’s Service tab. The client does not have to be enrolled into a program to be issued this service.
- Services & Programs - Selecting this option will link the service to a program, but still allow the end user to issue the service even if the client is not enrolled in the program. The Service will be accessible via both the Services tab and the Provide Services tab in the Program screen.
- Programs Only - Selecting this option means that the end user will only be able to issue the service if the client is enrolled in the program. Once the client is enrolled into the Program, the Service will only be accessible under the Provide Services tab; not under the Service tab of the client record.
If Programs Only or Services & Programs are selected, check the the box next to the Program(s) the service is to be linked to.
To learn how to link a Service to a Program (Program Assigned Service), please refer to Working With Program Assigned Services.