Clarity Human Services provides report developers an easy method to create custom reports. In order to so, a developer must be provided with a set of credentials to gain access to the Virtual Private Network (VPN) and the Remote Desktop environment. If you do not have credentials, please contact your Clarity Human Services software representative.
From this environment, one will have access to two different network drives :
- T:\ (Test Environment) : This drive is your test environment. It links directly to your PENTAHO_SOLUTION folder in your test environment. Here, one will be storing all development work (.xaction and .prpt files) in progress.
- P:\ (Production Environment) : This drive links to your live environment. It points to the PENTAHO_SOLUTION that is being used for CUSTOMERNAME.hmis.cc. CUSTOMERNAME being the name of your company. Files will be dragged from T:\ and dropped to P:\ after testing so it can be live and accessible to all users.
Those folders are available in Start Menu -> Computer
Upon login, one can see three shortcuts on the Remote Desktop :
- Pentaho Report Designer : This is the application that allows one to design a report. It is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor. This is where one defines the parameters the report will react to, the data the report will display and the layout it will have. This report will save as a .prpt file.
- Pentaho Xaction Editor : This is the application that allows you design the parameter form that will call the report (.prpt file). It is Eclipse based. More than just a form editor, it allows one to specify all the actions to be taken between the moment one hits submit and the report is called. (ie., Send an email, Execute a stored procedure, Print it).
- MySQL Workbench: This is the application that allows you to interact, using SQL statements, directly with the database. It is a great tool to debug your queries when development a report.
To be considered a valid report for Clarity Human Services, a user needs to provide an .xaction (the form) and a .prpt file (the report).
How Does Report Development Work ?
Step 1: Design the report on the Test Environment
The first step, and the most time consuming one, is the report design. This happens in the Pentaho Report Designer software. When designing a report, a developer should have in mind three important notions. What questions will my report answer? (Data), What criteria can adjust/filter my report (Parameters), and what should it look like? (Layout).
Refer to … if you want a full video showing you a report design, with parameters, data and layout.
Important : Every file you will be saving needs to be placed in T:\CUSTOMERNAME
Step 2 : Design the .xaction (form) that matches the .prpt file designed in Step 1
This is where the developer creates the parameter form that will match the .prpt file previously developed, covering the actions that need to take place between the moment an end-user clicks “Ok” and the report gets generated. By action, we refer to Input Validation, Sending of an email, Execution of a Stored Procedure, Print Something, etc… Please refer to Pentaho Official documentation for more details.
Once the .xaction development is completed, one can test it directly within Pentaho Xaction Editor, clicking on test and testing the xaction against the Pentaho instance located in http://192.168.34.37:8082/pentaho
Refer to … if you want a full video showing you an xaction design and testing.
Important : Every file you save must be placed in T:\CUSTOMERNAME
Step 3 : Move .xaction and .prpt to the live system
For this step, simply drag the files from T:\ and drop it to its respective path in P:\. That is it.
Step 4 : Make it accessible to your users
Go to your Clarity Software instance with a System Administrator account, click Setup > Report Library. Add the report in its appropriate category and save it. After that step is complete, go to Settings > Advanced Options > Refresh Reporting Library.
You will be complete, and your new report will be available to your users.