Report Purpose and Summary
This is a program- and service-based report that provides details of all clients, according to PATH Reporting Specifications.
[HUDX-224] PATH Annual Report is located in the HUD Reports section of the Clarity Human Services report library.
Choose Program Type
- Street Outreach - PATH-Funded Street Outreach projects focus on people who generally reside in a place not meant for human habitation (e.g. streets, abandoned buildings, etc.).
- Services Only - PATH-Funded Services Only projects focus on people who generally reside in a place meant for human habitation, or who are at risk of homelessness.
- All - This option will provide unduplicated data for all programs listed.
All questions in the report apply to both project types except Q9 and Q10. Q9 reports on project type Street Outreach. Q10 reports on project type Services Only.
Choose Program Status
- All - All PATH-funded programs, regardless of current active status
- Active - Only PATH-funded programs which are currently active
- Inactive - Only PATH-funded programs which are currently inactive (no longer actively serving clients and have been deactivated within HMIS)
Choose a CoC
Select the appropriate CoC code for your program. (If you’re unsure, please contact your system administrator.)
Choose a PATH Program
Based on the above parameters, this section will list the appropriate programs for you to choose from. Select the PATH program(s) you wish to include in the report.
Enter the Report Start Date
This date will reflect the date from which you would like to start generating data.
Enter the Report End Date
This date will reflect the date from which you would like to stop generating data.
Choose Report Format
Beginning in Summer of 2019, the PATH report is submitted to HHS as a CSV upload using the PATH Data Exchange tool. To generate the CSV, select "Zip with CSV."
Additionally, you can select Web Page, PDF, or Excel. Web Page is a functional format that allows you to drill down on data elements to inspect the underlying data supporting it, if the report allows for it. The PDF is a good option for official reports, grants, etc. If you download the Excel file, you can use Excel to manipulate the data (e.g. sort/check for duplicates, etc.).
This report provides information for PATH grantees and is written to comply with the 2017 PATH Report specifications. This report pulls data from several locations within the client record, including the Client Profile screen, Enrollment screen, Exitscreen, and Services (within the client’s program record).
- In order for this report to function properly, your PATH programs and services must be properly configured. For instructions on configuring your PATH programs and PATH services, please click here: How to Setup PATH Programs & Services.
- In order for this report to function properly, your PATH program must follow the correct PATH workflow. Please review the PATH workflow instructions.
- Please also be sure to fully review the HUD-released PATH Program HMIS Manual.
Complete, up-to-date specifications can be found here: https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/HMIS-Programming-Specifications-PATH-Annual-Report.pdf
Q8–Q16 Report Table: Persons Served During This Reporting Period
Q8. Number of persons contacted by PATH-funded staff this reporting period
Active clients based on project entry/exit dates AND the provision of at least one direct contact (date of engagement, date of PATH status determination, provision of contact or other PATH-funded service associated with the program stay).
Q9. Number of new persons contacted this reporting period in a PATH Street Outreach project
Street Outreach programs - New clients are those identified as “Active” in Q8 but only those with a program entry date during the date range of the report.
Q10. Number of new persons contacted this reporting period in a PATH Services Only project
Services Only programs - New clients are those identified as “Active” in Q8 but only those with a program entry date during the date range of the report.
Q11. Total number of new persons contacted this reporting period (#9 + #10 = total new enrollments)
Unduplicated total of persons counted in Q9 and Q10.
Q12. Instances of contact, from first contact until the date of enrollment, for all active clients who became enrolled this reporting period
Of the total new persons contacted (Q11), the total count of contacts between first contact and the date of enrollment.
NOTE - Date of enrollment is determined by the PATH-specific data element 4.20 PATH Status. To be considered as “enrolled” in PATH, Date of Status Determination must be complete and within the date range of the report, and Client Became Enrolled in PATH must be “Yes”. If the client became enrolled in PATH, the date of status determination is the date of enrollment.
Q13. Number of new persons contacted this reporting period who could not be enrolled because of ineligibility for PATH
Of the total new persons contacted (Q11), the total persons that have a date of PATH status determination within the date range of the report and were found to be ineligible for PATH.
NOTE - Information pulled from data element 4.20 PATH Status - Client Became Enrolled in PATH must be “No” and Reason Not Enrolled must be “Ineligible for PATH”.
Q14. Number of new persons contacted this reporting period who became enrolled in PATH
Of the total new persons contacted (Q11), the total that were found eligible and became officially enrolled in your PATH program.
NOTE - Enrolled in PATH is determined by data element 4.20 PATH Status. To be included in this count, the client must have a Date of Status Determination value within the date range of the report AND Client Became Enrolled in PATH must be set to “Yes”.
Q15. Number with active, enrolled PATH status at any point during the date range
Total of active clients (Q8) who have a PATH Status of “Enrolled” on or after the report start date and on or before the end date of the report (date must be within the date range of the report).
NOTE - Enrolled in PATH is determined by data element 4.20 PATH Status. To be included in this count, Client Became Enrolled in PATH must be set to “Yes”.
Q16. Number of active, enrolled PATH clients receiving community mental health services through any funding source at any point during the reporting period
Of the active, enrolled clients (Q15), total count of those identified as receiving services for a mental health problem.
NOTE - Data element 4.9 Mental Health Problem must be set to “Yes” AND Currently Receiving Services/Treatment for This Disability must also be set to “Yes”.
Q17. Report Table - Services Provided
Q17a–Q17m report the number of active/enrolled clients (Q15) that received each service type during the reporting period.
Individuals who received more than one type of service will be counted once in each category that applies.
Individuals who received one service type multiple times will only be counted one time for that type of service.
NOTE - Services must be linked to the PATH program to be included in the totals.
Q18. Report Table - Referrals
Q18 reports the total number of active/enrolled clients (Q15) provided with referrals by referral type during the reporting period.
Individuals who received more than one type of referral will be counted once in each category that applies.
Each row in Q18 represents a different referral type as captured with service transactions within Clarity Human Services. Each referral service item must be assigned to the appropriate PATH referral category, as outlined in the HUD Data Standards for data element 4.16a Referrals Provided-PATH, in order to be counted in the correct row.
NOTE - The most recent HUD Data Standards include Dependent A to data element 4.16a Type of Referral. Dependent A requires the collection of “Attained,” “Not Attained,” or “Unknown” as a required selection for each referral transaction. Referrals provided must have one of those three outcome values in order to be counted in Q18. Please connect with your system administrator to ensure that your PATH referral services are set up properly.
Q19–Q27. Report Table - Outcomes
Q19–Q27 provide outcome data for active/enrolled clients (Q15).
- At Project Entry column includes all active/enrolled clients (Q15) and provides data as captured at program entry.
- At Project Exit column includes only those clients from Q15 who exited the program during the report date range and provides data as captured at program exit.
- At Report End Date column includes all active/enrolled clients who remain active in the program as of the report end date and provides data as captured either at entry or at most recent update/annual assessment—whichever is later.
Q28. Report Table - Demographics
Q28a–Q28i provide demographic totals for all active/enrolled clients (Q15) during the reporting period.
When run in Web Page format, this report contains drill-down functionality for each table listed above.
Troubleshooting an Upload
PATH grantees should refer to grant instructions for user credentials, website and upload instructions. Once the upload is complete, the following are some suggestions for handling issues flagged in the upload.
- Budget Questions 1-7 - these questions are not collected in HMIS and must be completed manually by the user.
- Question 10 - at this writing, this field only applies to Services Only projects. However, the field is flagged for Street Outreach projects. To resolve, add a comment to explain. For example:
- Street Outreach project, not Services Only
- Question 26e - at this writing, this field is not validating correctly. PDX is validating for all clients, including minor children. Veteran status is not collected for minor children, so the count should not include minor children. Bitfocus has submitted an AAQ concerning this problem. In the meantime, to resolve, add a comment to explain:
- Count should not include minor children
- Question 26j - at this writing, this field is not correctly adding up all the possible responses. Bitfocus has submitted an AAQ concerning this problem. Meanwhile, add a comment:
- Validation is not correctly totally the responses
For any other flags, correct data quality problems where appropriate or add a comment to explain why there is an issue with the question.