Recipients of HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) funding (e.g., Supportive Housing Program, Shelter Plus Care, Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy Program, CoC Program) are required to submit an Annual Performance Report (APR) electronically to HUD every operating year. Data collection for the APR is aligned with the most recent version of the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Data Standards.
The APR portal contains a wealth of information for grantees.
The consolidated specifications for the APR and ESG-CAPER ([HUDX-228]) are found at https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/4696/hmis-programming-specifications/.
The APR and ESG reporting are similar, with the APR containing additional tables that are not required for the ESG-CAPER.
The APR is a series of tables with questions about service levels and outcomes for the funded projects.
The final version is submitted as a zip file of CSV files. Each question in the report will have a separate CSV.
Running the Report
We recommend that grantees run the [HUDX-225] HMIS Data Quality Report in preparation for running the APR. This report identifies data quality problems that can be repaired before running the APR.
The Data Quality Report is found in the HUD Reports section of the Clarity Human Services Report Library.
Note: The APR is designed to be run for one program for one year. There is an option to run the report for more than one program. The report will run under this scenario, but due to the dynamic situation of household configurations, you may see different results than expected.
There is no way to program the report to address all the possible household scenarios that may occur across programs and agencies.
- Agency level - [HUDX-227] Annual Performance Report - HUD Reports folder
- Admin level - [HUDX-227-AD] Annual Performance Report - Administrator Reports folder
Who Can Run the Report
Anyone can run this report, but the returned information will be limited based on the user's access rights.
Switch Access Agency(ies)
To meet customer needs, an additional feature has been added to the Annual Performance Report. This feature is designed to allow a user to generate the report for programs from multiple agencies. Some ESG grants require this capability. The ability is dependent on the access rights of the user. In other words, the user must have access to more than one agency.
- The list of agencies will include the user's primary or home agency followed by other agencies for which the user has access
CoC Filtering Options
Here is a brief description of how to use the CoC filtering options:
1. Choose a CoC filter category
There are four levels of CoC filtering available. Only one option may be selected for each report:
- Agencies in CoC - the report will only pull from agencies within the selected CoC.
- Agencies with Programs in CoC - the report will only pull from Programs/Projects within the selected CoC.
- Agencies with Sites in CoC - The report will only pull from Sites within the selected CoC.
- Agencies with Bed Inventory in CoC - The report will only pull from Bed Inventories within the selected CoC. Be aware, choosing this option will limit to only those projects with Bed Inventories.
2. Apply Client Location filter
The report can be narrowed further to include only those households from the selected CoC at project entry. Click "Yes" to turn on this level of filtering.
Legacy Feature: Service-Based Funding Source
These parameters are for local, service-based funding sources.
- Funding Criteria
For most official grant submissions, choose "Not Based on Funding Source."
- No Funding Source - the report is based on funding source; however, there is no funding source assigned to services.
- Only Primary Fundings - the report only pulls data from services with primary funding sources (see Introduction to Funding Sources)
- Primary and Subgrant Fundings - the report only pulls data from services with either primary or subgrant funding sources.
- Funding Status - choose whether to include active and/or inactive funding sources
- Funding(s) - choose the funding sources to include in the report
The following are more standard Clarity report parameters that are required to run the report.
|Program Type(s)||Choose which program types to include in the report|
|Program Status||All, Active, Inactive|
|Program(s)||Choose which programs to include|
Admin Report Additional Parameters
The administrator version requires the following:
|CoC||Choose which CoC to include in the report|
|Agency Status||All, Active, Inactive|
|Agency(ies)||Choose which agencies to include|
Submitting the APR
Use the Sage Upload- ESG CAPER and APR article for detailed instructions for submitting to the Sage HMIS Reporting Repository. It is important that you NOT change the contents of the downloaded report. You can change the name of the file, but nothing more. Be careful not to change the file extension when changing the name of the file.
For additional support and frequently asked questions about the APR, please review APR and ESG-CAPER FAQ.