Recipients with HUD funding received through CoC homeless assistance grants (e.g., Supportive Housing Program, Shelter Plus Care, Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy Program, CoC Program) are required to submit an Annual Performance Report (APR) electronically to HUD every operating year. Data collection for the APR is aligned with the most recent version of the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Data Standards.
Summary of Changes
Here is a brief list of changes that you may notice comparing the [HUDX-226] Annual Performance Report [Apr 2017] to the new [HUDX-227] Annual Performance Report [Oct 2017].
- Validations- For Q6d (Chronically Homeless), there is an extra filter than in Q5a and Q26 restricting 6d to clients entered on or after 10/1/16, when the definition of chronic homelessness changed. For Q6e (Timeliness), the April Version counted all active clients, and the October clients counts only records with an enrollment date on or between the reporting period, so it does not count active clients enrolled prior to the reporting period.
- The Contacts logic (Q9) was changed between the April and October Versions, so they will be different. HUD did not want previous contact services mapped, so this table will count clients as follows:
- All Persons Contacted (Once): All persons with Date of Engagement within the reporting period OR Date of Contact within the reporting period
- All Person Contacted (2-5 Contacts, 6-9 Contacts, etc.): Persons with new Contact Services within the reporting period
- First Contact, etc.: Persons with new Contact Services within the reporting period
- Total Persons Engaged (All Persons Contacted): All persons with Date of Engagement within the reporting period OR Date of Contact within the reporting period
- Total Persons Engaged (First Contact, etc.): Persons with new Contact Services within the reporting period
- In other words, the columns will not add up
- For any question using the Annual Assessment (e.g. Q19, Q25...), the April Version was based on client anniversary and the October version is based on HoH anniversary, so programs serving HHs with more than one person will likely notice a difference.
- Q22c, the "RRH length of time between Project Start and Move-In Date" is new to the APR and is included in the October version.
This is not an exhaustive list, but it covers the major differences you will notice.
Uploading the APR
Use the Sage Upload- ESG CAPER and APR article for detailed instructions for submitting the APR to the Sage HMIS Reporting Repository. It is important that you NOT change the contents of the downloaded APR report. You can change the name of the file, but nothing more. Be careful to not change the file extension when changing the name of the file.
The following are some commonly asked questions about the APR. This section will be updated as questions are raised.
CoC Filtering Options - [HUDX-227-AD] Annual Performance Report [Oct 2017]
A new feature has been added to the APR which allows large, multi-CoC, Clarity instances more flexibility in selecting clients/project stays to include in an APR. Here is a brief description on how to use the various CoC filtering options:
- Choose a CoC filter category
There are four levels of CoC filtering available. Only one option may be selected for each APR:
- Agencies in CoC - APR will only pull from Agencies with the selected CoC(s). All of the CoC selection filters have a multi-select option. To choose more than one option, select the first CoC, then Ctrl-click additional CoC(s).
- Agencies with Programs in CoC - APR will only pull from Programs/Projects with the selected CoC(s).
- Agencies with Sites in CoC - APR will only pull from Sites with the selected CoC(s).
- Agencies with Bed Inventory in CoC - APR will only pull from Bed Inventories with the selected CoC(s). Be aware, choosing this option will limit to only those projects with Bed Inventories.
- Apply Client Location filter
The report can be narrowed further to only include those households from the selected CoC(s) at project entry. Simply click on "Yes" to turn on this level of filtering.
Q20b - Number of Non-Cash Benefit Sources
For the situation:
- Client A
- Project Entry Date: 7/28/2016
- Reporting Date Range: 7/1/2016-6/30/2017
Per the specifications from HUD, this client will be counted as "Benefit at Latest Annual Assessment for Stayers"/"Data Not Collected" even though the client was not in the project long enough to require an Annual Assessment. From the APR specs:
"Stayers that have not been in the project long enough to receive an Annual Assessment should be reported in row 5." (Data Not Collected)
Bitfocus has petitioned HUD to adjust the specs so that clients in this situation will not be counted as Data Not Collected, but as of this writing, the specs stand as stated above.
Have a question about the HUD specifications or the regulations applicable to your specific circumstance? Click here to seek official guidance from HUD.
Search the HUD Exchange Resource Page for additional information about the APR.