[HUDX-227] Annual Performance Report
Recipients of HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) funding (e.g., Supportive Housing Program, Shelter Plus Care, Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Single Room Occupancy Program, CoC Program) are required to submit an Annual Performance Report (APR) electronically to HUD every operating year. Data collection for the APR is aligned with the most recent version of the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) Data Standards.
The APR portal contains a wealth of information for grantees.
[HUDX-228] ESG-CAPER (Emergency Solutions Grant - Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report)
Recipients of HUD funding received through the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG_ Program are required to submit a CAPER to HUD annually. Data collection for the ESG portion of the CAPER is aligned with the most recent version of the HMIS Data Standards.
The ESG-CAPER portal also contains important information for grantees.
The consolidated specifications for the APR and ESG-CAPER are found at https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/4696/hmis-programming-specifications/.
The APR and ESG reporting are similar, with the APR containing additional tables that are not required for the ESG-CAPER.
Both the APR and ESG-CAPER are a series of tables with questions about service levels and outcomes for the funded projects. The APR includes some additional questions that are not required for the ESG-CAPER. The programming specifications, linked above, includes a Table of Questions detailing which questions are required for each report.
The final version of both reports is submitted as a zip file of CSV files. Each question in the report will have a separate CSV.
Running the Report
We recommend that grantees run the [HUDX-225] HMIS Data Quality Report in preparation for running both the APR and ESG-CAPER. This report identifies data quality problems that can be repaired before running the APR and ESG-CAPER reports.
The Data Quality Report is found in the HUD Reports section of the Clarity Human Services Report Library.
The APR and ESG-CAPER are designed to be run for one program for one year. There is an option to run the report for more than one program. The report will run under this scenario, but due to the dynamic situation of household configurations, you may see different results than expected.
There is no way to program the report to address all the possible household scenarios that may occur across programs and agencies.
- Agency level - [HUDX-227] Annual Performance Report - HUD Reports folder
- Admin level - [HUDX-227-AD] Annual Performance Report - Administrator Reports folder
- Agency level - [HUDX-228] ESG CAPER - HUD Reports folder
- Admin level - [HUDX-228-AD] ESG CAPER - Administrator Reports folder
CoC Filtering Options
The CoC filtering options allow large, multi-CoC Clarity Human Services instances more flexibility in selecting clients/project stays to include in the report. Here is a brief description of how to use the CoC filtering options:
1. Choose a CoC filter category
There are four levels of CoC filtering available. Only one option may be selected for each report:
- Agencies in CoC - the report will only pull from agencies within the selected CoC(s). All of the CoC selection filters have a multi-select option. To choose more than one option, select the first CoC, then Ctrl-click additional CoC(s).
- Agencies with Programs in CoC - the report will only pull from Programs/Projects within the selected CoC(s).
- Agencies with Sites in CoC - The report will only pull from Sites within the selected CoC(s).
- Agencies with Bed Inventory in CoC - The report will only pull from Bed Inventories within the selected CoC(s). Be aware, choosing this option will limit to only those projects with Bed Inventories.
2. Apply Client Location filter
The report can be narrowed further to only include those households from the selected CoC(s) at project entry. Click "Yes" to turn on this level of filtering.
Program-Based Funding Source (Only available on the ESG-CAPER report)
These are for Federal Partner funding sources.
- Federal Funding Source Criteria
For most official grant submissions, choose "Not Based on Federal Funding Source." To select only projects with a particular funding source, choose "Based on Federal Funding Source."
- Federal Funding Status - choose whether to include active and/or inactive funding sources.
- Federal Funding(s) - choose the funding sources to include in the report.
Legacy Feature: Service-Based Funding Source
These are for local, service-based funding sources.
- Funding Criteria
For most official grant submissions, choose "Not Based on Funding Source"
- No Funding Source - the report is based on funding source; however, there is no funding source assigned to services
- Only Primary Fundings - the report only pulls data from services with primary funding sources (see Funding Tab Overview)
- Primary and Subgrant Fundings - the report only pulls data from services with either primary or subgrant funding sources
- Funding Status - choose whether to include active and/or inactive funding sources
- Funding(s) - choose the funding sources to include in the report
Submitting the APR
Use the Sage Upload- ESG CAPER and APR article for detailed instructions for submitting to the Sage HMIS Reporting Repository. It is important that you NOT change the contents of the downloaded report. You can change the name of the file, but nothing more. Be careful not to change the file extension when changing the name of the file.
The following are some commonly asked questions about the report. This section will be updated as questions are raised.
Annual Assessment Selection
One of the most challenging aspects of the APR/CAPER is understanding how Annual Assessments are chosen to be included in the report. The following diagram shows the current decision logic:
Housing Move-in Date Selection Updated Logic
The following flowchart details out how the Housing Move-in Date is now used throughout HUD reporting.
Sage Validation Error - Q16 & Q18 not validating with Q5
Occasionally a Validation Error may occur during the Sage upload.
The likely cause of this problem is a household that does not have a head of household defined. ([Relationship to Head of Household] = Self) To identify the problem households, please refer to the article about running the HUD Data Quality report. Also, refer to the Sage Upload- ESG-CAPER and APR article for guidance on preparing to submit the APR and ESG-CAPER reports.
Have a question about the HUD specifications or the regulations applicable to your specific circumstance? Click here to seek official guidance from HUD.