This article describes some of the basic concepts for using the Clarity Human Services reporting tool: Pentaho.
Pentaho is the report generation tool used by Bitfocus developers to create most of the "on board" reports in Clarity Human Services. Clarity users generally do not have the ability to create reports using Pentaho. There is another tool for custom reporting and data analysis, Looker.
Reporting tools are found in Clarity by clicking on , then choosing Reports. Click on the Report Library tab to review the Pentaho reports.
If visible, the Explore and Data Analysis tabs take you to the data analysis tool, Looker. Usually, only System Admins and Agency Managers have access to Looker.
Report Library Structure in Clarity Human Services
The report library is divided up into a series of folders. These may be different as defined by your system administrator. The default set-up is:
- HUD Reports - Contains the Federal Partner reports for HUD CoC, ESG, PATH, RHY and SSVF projects.
- Service Based Reports - Reports that are run on service transactions.
- Administrator Reports - These should only be visible to System Administrators. For more information, please refer to Access Role-Based Reporting article. Only Administrator reports can be run for more than one agency, CoC-wide, or Clarity instance-wide.
- Email Reports - These reports do not contain protected personal information and be scheduled and delivered by email.
- Program Based Reports - Reports that are run on project enrollments.
- Agency Management - Reports on users and staff activity
- Community and Referrals - Reports developed for use with the Clarity Coordinated Entry system
- Data Quality Reports
Client [CLNT] - Client reports are run for an individual client. These are accessed from the client's profile screen. From the right frame, click on the printer icon
Parameters or prompts are required for most reports. Here some of the commonly used parameters:
CoC Filter Category - Some Federal Reports now have this parameter available.
CoC can be defined in a variety of ways in Clarity. Choose which "CoC" should be used: Agency, Program, Bed or Site. Agency is the default. Only one may be chosen.
CoC - Choose which CoC(s) to use for the report. If only one CoC is used in the Clarity instance, the report will default to that CoC.
If CoC Filter Category for Program, Site or Bed is chosen, the selected CoC must selected on the Program, Site or Bed Inventory screen.
Apply Client Location filter - Setting this parameter to Yes will only return those clients where the Head of Household has the selected CoC as the Client Location at project enrollment.
Program Type - This parameter refers to the HMIS project type, Data Element 2.4. Choose which type(s) to include in the report.
Agency or Program Status - These parameters narrows the report to All, only the Active, or only the Inactive Agencies or Programs. This setting is from the Agency or Program screen respectively.
Choose Agency(ies) or Program(s) - Select which Agency(ies) or Program(s) to include. The Agency parameter will only be available on Administrator reports.
Report Start and End Date Filters
For reports based on program enrollments, setting the Report Start and End Dates will result in the following enrollments being included:
Select Report Format - Usually there are three different formats available for reports:
- Web Page - Displays within Clarity Human Services browser window
- PDF - Downloads as a printable PDF format
- Excel - Downloads as an Excel workbook which can be used for further data exploration
Most Clarity Human Services include drill downs for reported client counts. The drill downs will include details about which clients are included in the count.
For custom reports, please include the required drill downs and layout in the report specifications when requesting a quotation.
To use the drill down feature,
- Run a Web Page version of the report.
- Move the cursor over the count.
- If a drill down is available the cursor will change from an arrow to a pointing hand.
- Click on the count.
- A separate tab or window will open.
The sample below is a drill down from the HUD Annual Performance Report.
The header of the drill down report displays the Report Title and details about which table and cell it is reporting. The body of the report shows details about each client included in the count.
Refer to report-specific articles for information about a particular report.